By 1925 there were approximately 100 single-family homes in the Berwyn neighborhood. The original homes were mostly two-story, wood-frame buildings. The area supported a number of general stores, a weekly newspaper, a post office, and a church which provided library services. These businesses were mostly centered around the intersection of the street car line (now Rhode Island Avenue) with the main east-west road (Berwyn Road).
The community continued to develop in the 1930s, undeveloped lots in Francis Shannabrook's original subdivision of Central Heights were re-subdivided into smaller lots and improved with small one-story brick bungalows. Homes were built in the late 1930s for the increased number of workers employed in the Federal government during the New Deal Administration